nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:56 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

What diff types of systems ie: PC laptop ect..... are you guys using for iRacing or other sims?

On iRacings site they give you minimum requierments dual core cpu +++ nividia 8800 +++. If you have the min req and the guy racing beside you has the best graphics card and an intel i7 cpu / quad core ect...... will he have a competitve advantage over you?, kinda like real racing the best setup, best equip, best prepared team, against a shoe string budget used equipment. ????

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:25 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

As long as you connection is good and your frame rate is steady, a faster machine is probably not mcuh of an advanatge. A better wheel & pedals would probably make more difference.

I started with a Core 2 Duo and an ATI 4870, now have a i7 and a 5850 with 3 22" monitors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:04 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

If you're looking for a PC I have one that I bought as a basis to mod for iRacing, it has a dual core AMD processor, 80GB hard drive, DVD drive, currently only 1GB of ram, NVIDIA chip set, throw some more ram in it and a video card and it will run iRacing just fine, I ran the same setup a while back with a 512mb video card and 3gb of ram. Asking $150 obo.

Comes with a clean copy of XP installed, discs included. (It's a Vista computer but I prefer XP)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:01 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I have an Intel Q9300 2.5 GHz with 4 GB RAM and a Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card with 512 MB RAM (a few years old so a bit slower than what is out today), and it works just fine with the video quality turned to max. I am also connected to my DSL router via wired ethernet dual gigabit LAN. I use a Logitech G27 steering wheel set. If you have a machine that is a few years old the best bang for your buck is to upgrade your video card and add some system RAM.

A good high-speed broadband connection is key. If you are on wi-fi, try to connect your computer directly via ethernet LAN to a router if you can since a weak wi-fi signal will cause a bottleneck. These are the most important things for good performance. If you ever see a car that sporatically disappears and reappears on track that means their frame rate is slow, and usually the system kicks them off. A faster rig will not have a competitive advantage other than uninterrupted and smooth play.