nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reserved number question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I am curios why the reserved number limitation where leading zero's don't count as a "number" exists in NASA Northeast? It can't be an AMB issue, as they accommodate for it.

05 PTE - Honda Accord LX
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Ev wrote:
I am curios why the reserved number limitation where leading zero's don't count as a "number" exists in NASA Northeast? It can't be an AMB issue, as they accommodate for it.

It is because of how AMB exports them to excel it causes a problem in that it drops the leading zeros, so you can have leading zeros in your number but that won't differentiate it in the system from a car without a leading zero in it. So it sees 07, 7, 007 all as "7" when exported to be dealt with for points and what not. As an additional reason and probably more importantly... The flaggers at NE tracks are required to be provided by the track itself, and well they aren't always up to par on calling in violations. We've seen on many occasions where a 07 were called into us as 7 in the tower. We had no way of knowing if the 07 or the 7 was in violation and there is no way to "force" the flaggers to read the right numbers.

Hope this helps.

-mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:39 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Paisan wrote:
Ev wrote:

It is because of how AMB exports them to excel it causes a problem in that it drops the leading zeros, so you can have leading zeros in your number but that won't differentiate it in the system from a car without a leading zero in it. So it sees 07, 7, 007 all as "7" when exported to be dealt with for points and what not. As an additional reason and probably more importantly... The flaggers at NE tracks are required to be provided by the track itself, and well they aren't always up to par on calling in violations. We've seen on many occasions where a 07 were called into us as 7 in the tower. We had no way of knowing if the 07 or the 7 was in violation and there is no way to "force" the flaggers to read the right numbers.

Hope this helps.

-mike
Thanks for your response.

I think the export format isn't the issue with AMB, it's how it's being decoded by the program you are using, Excel. AMB exports a .CSV file format. Excel looks at the data, and based on what it sees, it formats the column automatically. To Excel, the car number looks like a number, so it formats it as such, removing leading zeros. If you change the column to a "text", the zero's return. I hate microsoft for this, as I am a database analyst, and frequently get nailed by this challenge. As far as flaggers not giving you correct numbers, that's a training issue.

It's a shame really that I have to re-number my car to race with NE because of a gap in training. Just about everyone else has overcome this simple challenge <shrug> NJMP was on my list, but for this and other reasons, I will be passing this year.

05 PTE - Honda Accord LX
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:05 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Ev wrote:
Paisan wrote:
Ev wrote:

Hope this helps.

-mike
Thanks for your response.

I think the export format isn't the issue with AMB, it's how it's being decoded by the program you are using, Excel. AMB exports a .CSV file format. Excel looks at the data, and based on what it sees, it formats the column automatically. To Excel, the car number looks like a number, so it formats it as such, removing leading zeros. If you change the column to a "text", the zero's return. I hate microsoft for this, as I am a database analyst, and frequently get nailed by this challenge. As far as flaggers not giving you correct numbers, that's a training issue.

It's a shame really that I have to re-number my car to race with NE because of a gap in training. Just about everyone else has overcome this simple challenge <shrug> NJMP was on my list, but for this and other reasons, I will be passing this year.

Yeah, unfortunately we have absolutely zero control over the flaggers.

Even if you want 07 it would already have been taken (we have several folks who have had 7, 07, etc) who would have been ahead of you on the list to get that number.

If you are only planning to run with us 1x a year or so, we can have you run as a guest with your "regular" number from your other region.

-mike