nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: GTS Rewards weight
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:00 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I'm glad to see GTS having such larger fields, I wish we had that many cars on a regular basis in American Iron. The way I see it is this is suppose to be fun for us amateur racers and we need to make sure we are all having fun, if not that's when you start to loose folks. If I had that many cars in my group running as close as you guys do I would suggest a post qualifying coin toss to invert the field for a race to give the slow guys a shot every now and again. Lets face it, there are all sorts of prep levels in cars and all sorts of driver skill levels and nearly impossible to equalize.

#70 Nasa AIX/AI/SI National Director
'High Performance Mustangs'
www.streetmotorsportsracing.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:07 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

We had a discussion on FB too with a lot of tangents. I think it's a good idea that can increase the fun level. Personally I'm willing to try anything if it enhances the fun level. Yes, Mike is right, we'll have problems with out of region runners, track records, etc. etc. But along those lines minus adding weight maybe there are other things we can do to mix things up. Other clubs invert fields sometimes or put race winners in the back for this same exact reason, lots of stuff we can try. All else fails we'll just drink more and eat more bbq.

#78 GTS2 BMW M Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:13 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Interesting. Personally I would not be on board with a rewards weight. Just because you have deeper pockets and can buy the best car and parts possible, that does not mean you will be running up front (altho it does help). This can cause a problem for the more budgeted guy that has to be very mindful of expenses but it still very quick. If you have to start carrying extra weight, that stresses everything more and accelerates wear on everything. The brakes get used more, tranny, diff, and axles have to now handle the extra weight, bearings get stressed more, tires get used quicker, etc. Then, lets say someone wins and has to carry extra weight, but the dyno wont be at the next event next month. As easy as it is to hit a few buttons on the average GTS car to up the power to keep the car at the same pw/wt ratio will become an issue. How will that be policed? It will be very difficult to make rules to close the gap in driver talent and car prep level. There are just to many variables.

AJ Hartman Racing AI#24
facebook.com/ajhartmanracing1
AJHartmanRacing.com
2013 NASA NE AI Champion