nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:31 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Looking for ideas on how to deal with people who want to race cars not in their class.

Go...

05 GTS2 99 M3
05 PTE - Honda Accord LX - SOLD
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:36 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Assuming the offending person is not in a direct battle with someone else in their class, here's a few ways to address. If the offending people are in a direct battle, each of the classes needs to do their best to not mess up the other class' race.

Always start with your Race Director if you don't know the other person. Let the RD know they are messing up your in-class racing. If you have video, get the RD a copy of it. The RD can then have a chat with that person and even show them the video of how they are goofing up your in-class race.

If you do know the offending party and feel comfortable talking to them, let them know in a friendly way that you would love to race them if the two of you found each other all alone on track. But.... since you are in a direct battle with in-class cars, you'd really can't afford to race against them since you have points/contingency/bragging rights on the line. Suggest ways of how they could help (and no not, "let me by and then block the others!!! :lol: ).

NASA-RM Regional Director
NASA Prototype National Series Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:15 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I lost positions a couple of times trying to be nice to HC drivers late in the Sunday race when my classmates followed them through. But it was fun trying to fight my way back. :mrgreen:

I hope I wasn't one of "those guys." But if I was, I know I'd appreciate the feedback.

Spec Miata #78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Bill,
The soft approach. Talk to the driver after the race. It's often a rookie. I have asked how the race was, etc. I've offered suggestions and tips to rookies. Then I get into the interclass racing topic. Showing them video is a great idea. Often, a rookie doesn't realize it's happening. Hopefully, lesson learned!
I saw a rookie this weekend get a beat down on this very topic. Not cool and actually stepped in.
On the other hand, if the driver isn't receptive, I would go to the Liason then race director.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:55 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

JH36 wrote:
Bill,
The soft approach. Talk to the driver after the race. It's often a rookie. I have asked how the race was, etc. I've offered suggestions and tips to rookies. Then I get into the interclass racing topic. Showing them video is a great idea. Often, a rookie doesn't realize it's happening. Hopefully, lesson learned!
I saw a rookie this weekend get a beat down on this very topic. Not cool and actually stepped in.
On the other hand, if the driver isn't receptive, I would go to the Liason then race director.

I have had mixed results taking the soft approach. Couple of years ago a legends car, one legends car, split me an in class car. I got around the slower car, but lost many car lengths taking me out of contention. I nicely mentioned it and was told "I race anything, them's the breaks".

05 GTS2 99 M3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:49 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Ev wrote:
JH36 wrote:
Bill,

I have had mixed results taking the soft approach. Couple of years ago a legends car, one legends car, split me an in class car. I got around the slower car, but lost many car lengths taking me out of contention. I nicely mentioned it and was told "I race anything, them's the breaks".

Did you then follow up with the race director?

Spec Miata #78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Ev wrote:
JH36 wrote:
Bill,

Yep, I would definitely take that to the man. A growth opportunity!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

jimgood wrote:
I didn't, but should have.

This weekend I made mention of it, but was looking for input so that I could get some other options

05 GTS2 99 M3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

It's a good drivers meeting topic. Will suggest for next event.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Ev wrote:
jimgood wrote:
I didn't, but should have.

This weekend I made mention of it, but was looking for input so that I could get some other options

Bill, sent you an email.