nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am
Posts: 92
pretty much what the question says. can it be a competitive platform, or will it always lag behind m3, evo, vette, and s2000?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am 
Offline
Postmeister
Postmeister

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Mooresville, NC
Anything can be competitive in xT# classes. Especially TT.

I am half tempted to build another Mustang just to prove it since everyone says the Corvette is the "almighty bestus". Yes, the BMWs and Vettes are great platforms to begin with, but anything can be built to beat anything else. Especially in a one-lap-wonder format.


-Kevin

_________________
Kevin
$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am
Posts: 92
I guess I should also add dollar to dollar. Because I guess I know it can be competitive but does it take $$$$$$$$$ for one chassis and $$ for another to be as competitive


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:40 pm
Posts: 692
I'm with ya Kevin.I been thinking seriously about that very same thing.The s197 built to the edge of the rules I think would kick some serious a$$. After seeing how close the SI times are against the top st4 and tt4 cars are I think would surprise a lot of vettes and bimmers! The car would not be SI legal anymore though.That's the only thing holding me back right now.

_________________
Robert Miller
SE Spec Iron #20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:16 pm
Posts: 84
brkntrxn wrote:
Anything can be competitive in xT# classes. Especially TT.

I am half tempted to build another Mustang just to prove it since everyone says the Corvette is the "almighty bestus". Yes, the BMWs and Vettes are great platforms to begin with, but anything can be built to beat anything else. Especially in a one-lap-wonder format.


-Kevin
SNAKBITN wrote:
I'm with ya Kevin.I been thinking seriously about that very same thing.The s197 built to the edge of the rules I think would kick some serious a$$. After seeing how close the SI times are against the top st4 and tt4 cars are I think would surprise a lot of vettes and bimmers! The car would not be SI legal anymore though.That's the only thing holding me back right now.


I know of a S197 in race trim not being used anytime soon. If interested in converting into a killer ST/TT4 car, I say let's make it happen!

_________________
Darren Brady

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
Postmeister
Postmeister

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Mooresville, NC
dbrad wrote:
brkntrxn wrote:
Anything can be competitive in xT# classes. Especially TT.

I am half tempted to build another Mustang just to prove it since everyone says the Corvette is the "almighty bestus". Yes, the BMWs and Vettes are great platforms to begin with, but anything can be built to beat anything else. Especially in a one-lap-wonder format.


-Kevin
SNAKBITN wrote:
I'm with ya Kevin.I been thinking seriously about that very same thing.The s197 built to the edge of the rules I think would kick some serious a$$. After seeing how close the SI times are against the top st4 and tt4 cars are I think would surprise a lot of vettes and bimmers! The car would not be SI legal anymore though.That's the only thing holding me back right now.


I know of a S197 in race trim not being used anytime soon. If interested in converting into a killer ST/TT4 car, I say let's make it happen!



I already sent you a parts list so I can spend your money. :)


Back to the OP:

Every chassis has advantages and disadvantages. The Vettes and BMWs have higher price tags to start with PLUS you pay the luxury tax on a lot of parts just because of the name of the car. Mustangs are cheaper to get into but don't quite have the platform or stock drag coefficients. Subies are somewhere in between in my opinion AND have that thing called all wheel drive.

_________________
Kevin
$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 am 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am
Posts: 92
brkntrxn wrote:
dbrad wrote:
brkntrxn wrote:
Anything can be competitive in xT# classes. Especially TT.

I am half tempted to build another Mustang just to prove it since everyone says the Corvette is the "almighty bestus". Yes, the BMWs and Vettes are great platforms to begin with, but anything can be built to beat anything else. Especially in a one-lap-wonder format.


-Kevin
SNAKBITN wrote:
I'm with ya Kevin.I been thinking seriously about that very same thing.The s197 built to the edge of the rules I think would kick some serious a$$. After seeing how close the SI times are against the top st4 and tt4 cars are I think would surprise a lot of vettes and bimmers! The car would not be SI legal anymore though.That's the only thing holding me back right now.


I know of a S197 in race trim not being used anytime soon. If interested in converting into a killer ST/TT4 car, I say let's make it happen!



I already sent you a parts list so I can spend your money. :)


Back to the OP:

Every chassis has advantages and disadvantages. The Vettes and BMWs have higher price tags to start with PLUS you pay the luxury tax on a lot of parts just because of the name of the car. Mustangs are cheaper to get into but don't quite have the platform or stock drag coefficients. Subies are somewhere in between in my opinion AND have that thing called all wheel drive.



You're saying AWD is an advantage correct?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline
Postmeister
Postmeister

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Mooresville, NC
aaronsti wrote:


You're saying AWD is an advantage correct?



Yes I am, but I will quantify that with the usual "it depends".

From my experience, AWD has an advantage on any track that has a lot of tight corners or sweepers with low grip. (FWD is also similar to AWD, in my opinion) RWD is going to have an advantage on tracks with less tight corners or tracks with plenty of grip. I will give some examples:

Carolina Motorsports Park: Crappy tar and gravel surface, 3 corners tighter than 90*, 2 corners that are right hand sweepers with very little grip. AWD has an advantage at this track. When I exit the three tight corners in my Vette, I have to wait/wait/wait for the car to straighten out before going WOT. On the sweepers with low grip, I have to pedal the throttle through the entire corner before going WOT. An AWD, and a FWD, should be able to go to WOT before I can in any of those corners. Equal prep car to equal prep car. Can an AWD on NT01s outcorner my RWD Vette on A7s? No way. So keep in mind I am saying EQUAL car prep.

VIR: Good track surface, plenty of mix of high speed corners and low speed tight corners. AWD should have an advantage out of nOak Tree and maybe the T1-2 sweeper, but not necessarily anywhere else over my RWD Vette. Equal prep to equal prep, the cars should be very close at this track. With maybe a nod to the RWD car because less weight from no AWD penalty should translate to later braking into T1 and T14. In theory.


Make sense?

_________________
Kevin
$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:55 am 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am
Posts: 92
brkntrxn wrote:
aaronsti wrote:


You're saying AWD is an advantage correct?



Yes I am, but I will quantify that with the usual "it depends".

From my experience, AWD has an advantage on any track that has a lot of tight corners or sweepers with low grip. (FWD is also similar to AWD, in my opinion) RWD is going to have an advantage on tracks with less tight corners or tracks with plenty of grip. I will give some examples:

Carolina Motorsports Park: Crappy tar and gravel surface, 3 corners tighter than 90*, 2 corners that are right hand sweepers with very little grip. AWD has an advantage at this track. When I exit the three tight corners in my Vette, I have to wait/wait/wait for the car to straighten out before going WOT. On the sweepers with low grip, I have to pedal the throttle through the entire corner before going WOT. An AWD, and a FWD, should be able to go to WOT before I can in any of those corners. Equal prep car to equal prep car. Can an AWD on NT01s outcorner my RWD Vette on A7s? No way. So keep in mind I am saying EQUAL car prep.

VIR: Good track surface, plenty of mix of high speed corners and low speed tight corners. AWD should have an advantage out of nOak Tree and maybe the T1-2 sweeper, but not necessarily anywhere else over my RWD Vette. Equal prep to equal prep, the cars should be very close at this track. With maybe a nod to the RWD car because less weight from no AWD penalty should translate to later braking into T1 and T14. In theory.


Make sense?


Yep, I get it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am
Posts: 92
brkntrxn wrote:
aaronsti wrote:


You're saying AWD is an advantage correct?



Yes I am, but I will quantify that with the usual "it depends".

From my experience, AWD has an advantage on any track that has a lot of tight corners or sweepers with low grip. (FWD is also similar to AWD, in my opinion) RWD is going to have an advantage on tracks with less tight corners or tracks with plenty of grip. I will give some examples:

Carolina Motorsports Park: Crappy tar and gravel surface, 3 corners tighter than 90*, 2 corners that are right hand sweepers with very little grip. AWD has an advantage at this track. When I exit the three tight corners in my Vette, I have to wait/wait/wait for the car to straighten out before going WOT. On the sweepers with low grip, I have to pedal the throttle through the entire corner before going WOT. An AWD, and a FWD, should be able to go to WOT before I can in any of those corners. Equal prep car to equal prep car. Can an AWD on NT01s outcorner my RWD Vette on A7s? No way. So keep in mind I am saying EQUAL car prep.

VIR: Good track surface, plenty of mix of high speed corners and low speed tight corners. AWD should have an advantage out of nOak Tree and maybe the T1-2 sweeper, but not necessarily anywhere else over my RWD Vette. Equal prep to equal prep, the cars should be very close at this track. With maybe a nod to the RWD car because less weight from no AWD penalty should translate to later braking into T1 and T14. In theory.


Make sense?


So here's another food for thought question for you. With your statement of fwd is similar to awd, is any awd platform with the -.5 more of a handicap than its worth. Are you better off with the more even weight distribution of rwd or the +.6 of fwd?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JohnPutnam, ninetyfourintegra and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group