nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:19 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

5.4.2 Re-class Request Procedures

An owner/driver must submit the following information, by e-mail, to the National PT Director (greg@nasa-tt.com), in order to request a Re-classification and new Base Class, before the vehicle can enter competition if the Re-class is required as designated in 5.4.1 above
(See Appendix C for the few pre-approved Dyno Re-classes):

1) Your name, NASA home region, and series (PT, TT, or both)
2) Competition vehicle--year, make, model, subtype and trim type (if applicable)
3) Reason for the request (FI, swap, heads, rotary porting, hybrid, not required, etc.)
4) Actual measured Displacement, and if a swap: Engine--model #/name, disp, #cyl,
valvetrain/VVT?, F/I?, OEM crank Hp & Tq.
5) Dynojet dynamometer maximum Hp and Tq (if AWD, then Dynojet, Dynopack, Mustang, or
Dyno Dynamics dyno numbers)
6) Amount of extra Hp requested for "Dyno Variance" (1-3% recommended over above max Hp)
7) Minimum Competition Weight (with driver)

Or, an owner/driver can submit 1-6 above, along with:
7) The specific requested new base class, including number of asterisks (7 points each),
instead of the vehicle weight. The new Minimum Competition Weight will then be provided in the Official Re-class e-mail response.

The extra Hp requested in 6) above, is to help ensure that any Dyno testing done at another location or at the track by the PT Officials will show hp ratings equal to or less than those provided by the owner/driver.

Once a vehicle is re-classed based on Dyno testing and Minimum Competition Weight, an Official Re-class e-mail will be sent to the competitor, stating the new base class, the new base tire size, and the maximum Dyno horsepower and Minimum Competition Weight limits, as well as any other specific limitations for that particular re-classification. The new base tire size will match the new base class. The competitor will then complete the PT Car Classification Form, but will not assess any points for Section 5.3.B (Weight Reduction) or 5.3.C (Engine). Modification Points will be assessed for all other non-BTM modifications. The competitor must not exceed the limits of either power or weight listed in the Dyno Re-class e-mail in order to prevent disqualification. If the vehicle is modified, and the power level or weight has changed, a new request for Re-class must be sent to the National PT Director.

greg@nasa-tt.com

Last edited by Greg G. on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:00 am, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:18 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Please forgive my ignorance on this one, but do you need to get approval to swap engines with a car in the same generation or are you simply classified as what 'that' car is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:45 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

p144 wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance on this one, but do you need to get approval to swap engines with a car in the same generation or are you simply classified as what 'that' car is?

Yes, you would need approval still. There may be no assessment ultimately, but it needs to be reviewed.

From page 22 of the PT Rules (third paragraph)

5.4 OEM Definition, Updating and Backdating Rules

"...Motors and engine parts cannot be swapped under
the update/backdate rule without specific approval...."

greg@nasa-tt.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:02 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Do we apply via this forum or to you directly?I am planning on building a rotary Miata(not sure if using 12A or 13B) for use here in the Northeast and do not plan on taking it to other regions or National events.So I'd like to get an idea where the car will start to be classified from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:46 pm 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

send it to his email

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

What about hybrid motors? Would it be possible to try and get these legalized as well? By hybrid, I mean having parts from multiple motors. There's a combo that's got my interest with parts from 3 different engines. Just curious if something like this would be a possibility with dyno classing, etc. or if it wouldn't even be considered since it's frankensteined together. I've read a few builds on the motor i'm considering but haven't seen a "stock" one yet, but i'm strongly considering building one up to try it out. Just want to make sure I wouldn't be wasting my time building a motor that has no chance of being legal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

hybrid motors will require dyno classing

#31 Accord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:17 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

As long as they aren't a "we won't let you use hybrid motors" situation, that's fine with me. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be an outright "no you can't use that" before I spend the time putting it together and getting it tuned in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:31 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Would it be possible to swap a Chevy engine in a BMW?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:10 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

You can swap whatever you want into it. It will be classed based on Dynojet model maximum dynamometer hp and tq readings, and the minimum competition weight with driver. All requests must be sent to me by e-mail once the correct numbers are known.

The only issue with swapping "any" engine is that the rules regarding modifications of the frame and sub-frame must be adhered to (which may be impossible with some swaps).

greg@nasa-tt.com