nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Smike wrote:
I am not sure I have ever heard of a race being declared a "rain session". And we have not black flagged and swapped.
I have, every time it rains...

05 GTS2 99 M3
05 PTE - Honda Accord LX - SOLD
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

having the autocross compounds being made a ridiculous point value is a very good thing! It drastically lowers the coast to be competitive.
I don't understand why people are freaking out about it. Your not going to be at a disadvantage. other people wont be on those autocross tires either.
And it does not alienate any tire manufacturers. Those same companys build the race compounds... lol

I am one of "those guy" that frequently ran on sticker a6's. I wont be able to use them anymore and I am happy about it. They are really only good for one or two sessions.

now we will be on the r7 which is only marginally slower yet will stay consistent throught many more heat cycles.

I haven't used the r7 yet but the sm7 is the same compound. I practiced on 15 heat cycle sm7's at east nationals then threw on some stickers and to my surprise, there was zero measurable difference in grip or laptime... WOW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg -

Being that it has been decided that R7s are a +10 for 2015 are you revising the pt and tt rules changes for the remainder of 2014 to move them from +13 this year to align with the 2015 assessment?

Seems that we shouldn't have them at +13 for this year knowing the are assessed at +10 for next year.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:53 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

RickyboobooJohnson wrote:
Greg -

Being that it has been decided that R7s are a +10 for 2015 are you revising the pt and tt rules changes for the remainder of 2014 to move them from +13 this year to align with the 2015 assessment?

Seems that we shouldn't have them at +13 for this year knowing the are assessed at +10 for next year.

Thanks!

No. The rules for '14 are as written. The new assessments do not start until the '15 season, and have not even been finalized in writing yet.

See you next week!

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:13 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Any idea when these proposed rules might be made more official for those of us making offseason plans? Some of us are sub 60 days on our next event already. :D

#15 Miata
TTF/PTF/E3
Ranger wrote:
I name you Soul Brother.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:43 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I would like to see the 200 tread wear tires become 0 points too. Partly because the width of a 205 Hoosier R6, haven't seen an R7, is every bit as wide as a 225 Rival at least in Miata sizes. As it stands in E for example, to run a 205 R6 is only 2 points more than running a 225 Rival. That really doesn't make sense.

As a budget minded racer, I like the idea of the super sticky and expensive one use type tires being given lots of points. This is club racing, encouraging lower tire costs can bring more racers out. We all want higher car counts right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:15 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Agreed.

I can run a 205 RC-1 and have 3 points to spare.
I can run a 205 RR and have 2 points to spare.
I can run a 225 200 treadwear street tire and have 1 point to spare.
I can remove my rear camber adjustment arms and run a 205 R7 with no points to spare.

Hmm...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:17 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

ILIKETODRIVE wrote:
Agreed.

I can run a 205 RC-1 and have 3 points to spare.
I can run a 205 RR and have 2 points to spare.
I can run a 225 200 treadwear street tire and have 1 point to spare.
I can remove my rear camber adjustment arms and run a 205 R7 with no points to spare.

Hmm...

Or:
I can run a 205 200 treadwear street tire and have 7 points to spare.
;)

I've seen some pretty quick times put down on street tires, and the extra 7 points allow for other modifications that if done right could make the car even faster. Could do an power adders, aero setup, or could use the 7 points for a PTx* dyno reclass, for more straight line speed. I've considered doing a street tire setup with aero several times, and I think at some tracks it could be a killer setup. The problem is at other tracks the aero doesn't buy you much, where as the high mechanical grip of a sticky tire helps at every track.

It's a tough call. Certainly you don't see many cars on the podium or at nationals running street tires. I guess the question is, is that because:
a) They're unfavorably classed, thus not used?
b) Nobody has built a top car specifically around street tires yet?
c) Racers simply like having real race tires?
d) They don't run them due to lack of contingency?

If the answer is A, then yes, we should probably bump them down to zero points.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:16 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Agreed. For my car, mechanical grip is king. I kinda set it up that way lol. I doubt for 1 lap (TT) or a race (PT) that my Integra @ 2400lbs would be faster with 205 shaved Kumho XS and 7 more points (or an * for more power on a reclass) vs 205 R7 and taking off rear camber adjusters. (My other 16 points are springs/shocks/sways/chassis brace for 1-inch rear sway/gears/LSD)

The 2 best examples in my car that I have:

My first weekend at Chuckwalla CCW on fairly used shaved Kumho XS I got down to a 2:11.0. After a few weekends there both directions with 205 RA-1 (eventually got down to a 2:06.4) I went back with slightly used SM6. First day I was in the high-2:05 range. Second day morning session I figured out what the hub-bub was with Hoosiers and did a 2:04.444. (Bench racing time; I bet if I went back on XS I could be in the 2:06 range at best. Fresh Hoosiers (heck, even just the new compound) would get me into high 2:03 for sure)

I've driven hundreds upon hundreds of laps at FIR West. My best time there is a 1:07-flat on fresh 205 R888. My best time there on fairly new 225 RS-3 is a 1:08.8.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:08 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

2015 PT Rules are posted on the NASA website.

greg@nasa-tt.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next