NASA has decided to make the following changes to the Super Touring, Performance Touring, and Time Trial Series that will take effect in the 2013 season. The 2013 Super Touring Rules will hopefully be posted by the end of next week. Drivers can use this post as a guide to making plans for 2013 builds. We would like to thank everyone that participated in the on-line survey that was sent out. We had a great response rate, and the survey was used to help guide these changes. While we will never be able to satisfy 100% of our members, these changes are supported by the majority of our participants, Regional Directors, and Regional Series Directors in all three series.
1) Decrease the Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio for ST2 to 8.0:1 (from 8.7:1)
2) Create a new class, ST3, with a limit of Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio of 9.0:1
3) Create a new Modification Factor for ST3 only-- non-OEM Aero modifications at -0.5. This will functionally make the ST3 limits 9.0:1 for OEM Aero cars and 9.5:1 for cars with Aero mods. (There will likely be a few specialty model vehicles that will be considered to have non-OEM Aero, such as the Honda S2000 CR).
4) Delete PTA as a class (ST3 is replacing it)
5) Delete TTA as a class (TT3 is replacing it)
6) Create STR3 with a limit of Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio of 9.0:1 (aero is always free in STR).
7) Delete (well, perhaps actually suspend/hibernate) STR2, only to be reborn if the future potential participant numbers are proven (many years up the road)
8) Create a new Modification Factor (for all ST and STR) for Rotary engines with a maximum of one turbocharger turbine and two rotors of +0.3.
9) Create a new Modification Factor (for all ST and STR) for all naturally aspirated vehicles with an engine displacement of 1.9L or less of +0.3
10) Allow (only) regional competition in TT3 in 2013 using either the new ST3 style rules, or the 2013 points based rules. Competition at the Championships will only be using the ST3 paradigm.
(Note: This only applies to Time Trial, not to ST3)
11) Change the nomenclature for the top TT classes:
TTU = TT Unlimited (currently called TTR in 2012)
TT1 = ST1 equivalent (currently called TTU in 2012)
TT2 = ST2 equivalent (currently called TTS in 2012)
TT3 = ST3 equivalent (currently TTA in 2012)
TTB, TTC, TTD, TTE, TTF remain unchanged.
12) Revoke all C5 Corvette Dyno re-classes and move the Base classing in the PT and TT
Rules to ST/SU (TT1,2,3)
13) Continue to homologate the FFR and Caterham/Sevens in ST/TT.
National TT, PT, & ST Director
Nat. Medical Directorgreg@nasa-tt.com