nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:57 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

hi. new to the forums and new to NASA. i always thought it was a pro-racing organization only. last year someone at an event at road america commented to me that i could join and i am not a pro-racer! 3 years ago i did my 1st track day and was fortunate enough to have met and had nasa instructors. 8 hpde's later now, i'm curious about the possibilities.

at the pie-in-the-sky level, what path could an average guy take to be able to enter an actual race and be the one that brings up the rear of the field? this is sort of a bucket list type item - you know i could say "hey i accomplished something". what types of costs are involved? could cars be rented for an event? i don't mean to sound cocky or flippant - i just don't know the answers. are there different levels of racing? i know i've seen other events where there's always someone bringing up the tail-end, but i bet their fun level was through the roof! although i really do like watching, i think it'd be a touch more to participate :)

at the ground(ed) level - can i participate in HPDE events with nasa? so today i was down at road america didn't really see what looked like a "novice" group or hpde. it all looked like people and cars driving at 10, and then some driving at 11 haha.

thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:25 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Steve,

Much of this information you can find at the Nasa Great Lakes site: http://www.nasagreatlakes.com.
At Road America (and all Nasa Great Lakes events) we had the following groups:
HPDE1: Start for hpde, all students will have an in car instructor for all of their sessions.
HPDE2: Student has mastered HPDE1 skills and will have an instructor for some of their sessions and solo for the others.
HPDE3: Student has mastered HPDE2 skills and will drive solo in a fast run group with liberal passing, comfortable with driving offline and side by side.
HPDE4: Top of the HPDE groups with open passing and preparation to go into Time Trials or Comp school.

Time Trials: competition for fastest lap in your run group. Requires advancement to HPDE4 to get a provisional Time Trial license, once that is passed you receive a time trail license that will allow you to compete in Time Trials in any region.

Thunder and Lightning: These are the race groups. Advance to HPDE4 (or TT) and then attend Competition School to receive a provisional race license. You can only run in that region until you complete 4 events without incident at which time you can apply for a national race license.

As for the 'Levels' of racing and some of the reason for cars trailing the pack is that there are many classes out there racing together. Thunder usually has more horsepower than lightning cars but there is a big difference between the abilities of the fastest cars in the group to the slowest. Time trials has only one group so the difference is even larger.

The web site also contains links for cars that can be rented at http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/GetStarte ... ntals.aspx

The next event is June 25-26 at Gingerman and registration is at https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2177. If you are not sure which HPDE group you should sign up for, there is a wizard on the Great Lakes site that will ask you about your experience and suggest an appropriate class.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

grue wrote:
hi. new to the forums and new to NASA. i always thought it was a pro-racing organization only. last year someone at an event at road america commented to me that i could join and i am not a pro-racer! 3 years ago i did my 1st track day and was fortunate enough to have met and had nasa instructors. 8 hpde's later now, i'm curious about the possibilities.

at the pie-in-the-sky level, what path could an average guy take to be able to enter an actual race and be the one that brings up the rear of the field? this is sort of a bucket list type item - you know i could say "hey i accomplished something". what types of costs are involved? could cars be rented for an event? i don't mean to sound cocky or flippant - i just don't know the answers. are there different levels of racing? i know i've seen other events where there's always someone bringing up the tail-end, but i bet their fun level was through the roof! although i really do like watching, i think it'd be a touch more to participate :)

at the ground(ed) level - can i participate in HPDE events with nasa? so today i was down at road america didn't really see what looked like a "novice" group or hpde. it all looked like people and cars driving at 10, and then some driving at 11 haha.

thanks,
steve

Steve - welcome to NASA!

Yes! You can participate!

Path for you would be the HPDE ladder that Terry has listed above. HPDE 1 (novice) to 2 to 3 to 4 (advanced) to TT or Comp School to W2W. Getting from HPDE 1-4 depends on your starting skill set, learning curve, and drive (no pun intended). DE1 and 2 both have in-car and classroom instruction. DE3 is lead by top level Group Leaders. And when you get to my DE4, you are coached by pro drivers and 1-1 coaching to help you reach your next plateau of driving/racing career.

Our HPDE 4 is one of the fastest in the country. We are often joined by current and past Pro drivers who just are looking to enjoy some fast laps with fast, competent drivers.

Comp Schools run $650-$1000 and you can rent a car for most. Weekend race car rentals can be $2500+ depending on car.

There are many classes racing from Miatas to Porsche GT3 Cup cars and many others. Not levels per se.

Sign up for GingerMan. I'd sign up for DE1 (to see the classroom and to get started). If you have the basics down, we'll graduate you to DE2.

Michael

2012 Great Lakes TTF Champion