nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:09 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

2012 Great Lakes TTF Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:04 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:37 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Looks like you're in the market for a new engine block. Pieces from the timing chain cover?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:15 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

427R wrote:
Looks like you're in the market for a new engine block. Pieces from the timing chain cover?

Pieces are piston skirt, connecting rod, and oil windege tray. Unfortunately, that's going to be a whole new motor. Heads show impact damage from C4 letting go and that block was beaten with the connecting rod when it let go. Surprised it didn't create a window.

Parking the car for this season. Waiting for Ford to release a Control-Pak for their 3.5L TT :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:53 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Means more seat time in the porsche, if you can get John out of it, ha ha. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:23 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Ouch, that sucks. Hopefully the engine won't be terribly expensive to replace for next year. Any idea about what caused the failure? Do you think it was knocking, or do you think the piston seized (from interference)?

I saw the Porsche behind me in one of the TT sessions, and it was gaining pretty fast... I was about to let you by until I saw the checkered flag.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Metal fatigue. Piston 4 is in pieces. And the con rod is in 3 pieces too (now have a new key chain too :lol: ).

But got something a little different:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:54 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

What!? Another porsche... You're really going to the dark side now. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:08 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I'm hearing that at NCM, the bathrooms and showers could be ready as early as 6/23. That would be nice as the wife is not too keen on Porta-Johns. Don't think too many women are.... They were made for guys not gals. Kinda surprised its taken this long for NCM to get them available with all the events they've had there since opening last fall.

Been watching some videos on You Tube of drivers on NCM... Gonna be a fun and interesting track.... especially thru turn 10 and the sink hole.

From what I'm seeing, looks like pit parking will be on blacktop. Can't tell if they've paved the area north of the start stand/front straighaway yet. Bring your own shade trees. I think some misting fans may be in order too. Looking at those at Home Depot, 18v battery operated, sits on a bucket of water....cooooool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:13 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I was at the track two weeks ago and they were finishing the garages. The bathrooms/showers are part of the garage building. The plan was to have them done by the end of June. They are also working on a permanent fuel location. Their prices are pretty high - 93 octane was over $8.50 a gallon. There is a Shell station about 5 minutes away. They also have 100 octane at about $9.50 a gallon.

The paddock is a huge area of blacktop. They have had over 600 cars there and had room for more. Absolutely no shade - bring your own. They have painted white lines breaking it up into two sections with an access road between.

Not sure of the area that you are talking about "...north of the start stand/front straightaway..." This could be the area they are building the classrooms and control tower. In front of the garages (overlooking pit lane) is supposed to be grass - not sure if it will be in by the time we get there. Could be dirt or a mud pit.

From pit lane, you can not see the front stretch - the pit wall is too tall. When I was there, there was a corvette with a go pro mounted on the room. Standing on pit lane, the only thing you could see was the go pro. They are building an observation platform on the track side of the garages. It should be done by the time we get there - i think it was up, they just needed to put the stairs up to get to the platform.

Regarding video - watch the one that was posted to the Great Lakes home page - it was taken from a VW, but the person driving was the track manager(he probably has the most laps of anyone on the track). He was driving the line that is generally thought to be the best way around. It will also be the basis for what is taught to the HPDE 1 and 2 students.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next