nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yet another noob
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I've been reading on the site and forums and talking with a coworker who runs a 944 and planning to attend a HPDE even in the area (North Texas) later this year. I plan to just take the daily driver (2007 Ford Taurus) and let it rip the first time out. Tires and brakes are all rather new as I work from home a lot and don't drive it a ton.

I'm hoping its a blast and can eventually progress that I have a dedicated race car. I've already got a tow vehicle (1995 Chevy 3/4 ton truck).

I expect a Taurus isn't a common car at HPDE events but its paid for and in good shape so figure I'll give it go with that first. I've been able to find lots of info on the site and forums but haven't found exactly how to join and get signed up for an event. I'm looking forward to lots of fun and if anyone has any specific suggestions to better prep a taurus for an HPDE I'm all ears

Post subject: Re: Yet another noob
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:30 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

You will probably have to take it easy and just learn the line with the Taurus. I don't know how fast you are going to be able to go with the stock brakes, suspension, and all season radials before you are on two wheels in the corners - your arm is probably going to get a workout giving point-by's. Not sure what is available for a Taurus performance wise- you will need to talk to someone really knows performance parts for Fords and what is shared by other vehicles that will fit. I think after a weekend with the Taurus you will be looking for a different vehicle before you go back.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:19 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

That was one of my concerns since I've had it feel like it was on the edge just taking a cloverleaf interchange for the highway that was banked.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced/cheap car that could be used in HPDE and modified later? I'm guessing I would be no better off using my 3/4 ton ext cab truck either :)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:44 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Brake pads...I would bring a spare set and the tools to install them.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:38 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

elcamino wrote:
I expect a Taurus isn't a common car at HPDE events but its paid for and in good shape so figure I'll give it go with that first. I've been able to find lots of info on the site and forums but haven't found exactly how to join and get signed up for an event. I'm looking forward to lots of fun and if anyone has any specific suggestions to better prep a taurus for an HPDE I'm all ears

IIRC its front wheel drive.
For your first HPDE it sounds perfect - paid for and in good shape.
Go to the nasaproracing home page, get your membersip and register for the event.
You found the forums so you should be able to find the NASA home page.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:43 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I found out the hard way my first day on track that the power your car has is irrelevant, it's the brakes and tires that matter.......and my Charger came with big Brembos on all 4 wheels. Cooked the factory synthetic fluid and trashed the pads (but it is a heavy car).

Your car will be fine but soon you'll want to change pads. If possible run a soft compound tire but again, for your first event, just run what you have and be aware of their limits. I would go ahead and change the brake fluid to something better and you can continue to run that fluid from this day forward.

Registering is easy. On this site go to the region you'll attend and look for the link to their website. Might be easiest to call someone to get the run-down but I've found everyone I've encountered is always willing to help.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:07 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I agree with what others have said. I have done three events with all-season radials on my 350Z. They were on the car when I bought it and they were new. No problems. You just have to know their limits and they will let you know with plenty of noise.

However, I would recommend new pads and brake fluid before you go. A track weekend is going to cost a minimum of around $300 just to register. No sense in ruining your expensive weekend with fading brakes, boiled fluid or cooked pads. Keep it simple. Order a set of EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. They are about the cheapest track ready pads you can get and yet they work fine as day to driving pads as well. Then get some ATE Super Blue or Amber (same fluid, different color) and get a local mechanic to flush and fill your brake fluid. Neither of these are the best you can buy but they will get the job done at the track and you can continue to use them for daily driving.

The only other thing you might want to look into is your automatic transmission fluid. I suspect it will get real hot on the track. New fluid might help; but I'm not sure about that.

Other than that, just do it. Its a blast. And quite frankly I think it is very cool to see people out there in ordinary cars. My first time out a lot of people in very ordinary cars were leaving me in the dust.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:21 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

n80 wrote:
I agree with what others have said. I have done three events with all-season radials on my 350Z. They were on the car when I bought it and they were new. No problems. You just have to know their limits and they will let you know with plenty of noise.

However, I would recommend new pads and brake fluid before you go. A track weekend is going to cost a minimum of around $300 just to register. No sense in ruining your expensive weekend with fading brakes, boiled fluid or cooked pads. Keep it simple. Order a set of EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. They are about the cheapest track ready pads you can get and yet they work fine as day to driving pads as well. Then get some ATE Super Blue or Amber (same fluid, different color) and get a local mechanic to flush and fill your brake fluid. Neither of these are the best you can buy but they will get the job done at the track and you can continue to use them for daily driving.

The only other thing you might want to look into is your automatic transmission fluid. I suspect it will get real hot on the track. New fluid might help; but I'm not sure about that.

Other than that, just do it. Its a blast. And quite frankly I think it is very cool to see people out there in ordinary cars. My first time out a lot of people in very ordinary cars were leaving me in the dust.

I haven't found EBC yellowstuff for the taurus. It looks like they sell their Greenstuff 2000 series pad's for the Taurus. I'll check into the brake fluid. Shouldn't be too bad since my brother in law is an ex ford mechanic.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

be sure to say Hi down in the Texas sub-section of the board :)

Which particular event were you looking at trying?

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

kbrew8991 wrote:
be sure to say Hi down in the Texas sub-section of the board :)

Which particular event were you looking at trying?

I posted a note in TX as well but since I am still a noob all posts have to be approved by a mod. I was looking at ECR Oct 6-7 to give me some time to get signed up and make sure I'm ready to go. I've also got some other travel plans for the summer.