nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

If it's CarboTech recommended, you have an excellent pad combo. Even when using the "track" break in proceedure, I still couldn't lock up the wheels. It took all the heat it could.

You'll be fine.

GL Region #707 PTE/TTE

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:05 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I think you'll be OK with the pads, not sure what the tires are going to do though.....I started HPDE last year so I'm not far ahead of you (I think). I'm in a Charger SRT8 that weighs 4,250 before I get my 215 lbs in it. I'm running XP 12/10 (front/rear) on a 275 summer tire. I was told by several that run Chargers to use this brake combo but have had others say it's too aggressive. ABS does activate but so far it's working well.......except the power steering pump has failed twice. I did make functional brake ducts and use a separate set of front rotors and they still warp after 2-3 track weekends (I'm getting pretty fast and driving pretty hard).

BTW: I swap the pads on Thursday night before track weekends and drive the car to work on friday......bedding the pads and holding my ears as they squeal like a pig. I tow the car to the track on a trailer mainly so I can get it home if something goes wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:14 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

t500hps wrote:
I think you'll be OK with the pads, not sure what the tires are going to do though.....I started HPDE last year so I'm not far ahead of you (I think). I'm in a Charger SRT8 that weighs 4,250 before I get my 215 lbs in it. I'm running XP 12/10 (front/rear) on a 275 summer tire. I was told by several that run Chargers to use this brake combo but have had others say it's too aggressive. ABS does activate but so far it's working well.......except the power steering pump has failed twice. I did make functional brake ducts and use a separate set of front rotors and they still warp after 2-3 track weekends (I'm getting pretty fast and driving pretty hard).

BTW: I swap the pads on Thursday night before track weekends and drive the car to work on friday......bedding the pads and holding my ears as they squeal like a pig. I tow the car to the track on a trailer mainly so I can get it home if something goes wrong.

Jesus...just get a Miata. You'll be faster and save money, lol!

GL Region #707 PTE/TTE

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

n80 wrote:
I got XP10s for the front and XP8s for the rear, both of which will probably be perfectly safe for limited street use. Plus I have plenty of quiet, open back roads to do this on so I think I will do it that way. I really don't want to be on the track with 30 other HPDE-2 cars while I'm doing "moderate" stops and coming to a "very slow rolling speed". :?

I ran the same combo on my heavy corvette - a little over 3500lbs with treadwear 340 tires when it was a combo vehicle. Only warning is watch for lockup going into the U turn at CMP.
Your trying to go from north of 100 to what 40ish to wrestle around the turn.

Just bed them on that country road or a parking lot, you'll be fine

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Thanks. I might just bite the bullet and get a set of Star Specs or something similar on some new rims just for the track anyway. Its just money. :|

It really is probably time for me to do that. A weekend at the track starts at around $300 just for registration. Throw in food, hotel, etc and it goes up fast. I don't want to ruin the whole weekend because I'm constantly locking the brakes at turn 1 or 8. At least thats the way I'm going to explain it to my wife. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:52 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

whoahstu wrote:
Jesus...just get a Miata.

WWJD (What would Jesus drive)?

Probably not a Miata.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:22 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

n80 wrote:
Thanks. I might just bite the bullet and get a set of Star Specs or something similar on some new rims just for the track anyway. Its just money. :|

It really is probably time for me to do that. A weekend at the track starts at around $300 just for registration. Throw in food, hotel, etc and it goes up fast. I don't want to ruin the whole weekend because I'm constantly locking the brakes at turn 1 or 8. At least thats the way I'm going to explain it to my wife. :roll:

I have Start Specs on my Z and absolutely love them. I found some 18" stock rims on Ebay for $400. I should have not gone with the staggered wheels however. Before that I was running Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires. They would get hot by the end of the day and start to get greasy. They would talk really loud before they started to loose traction. And they would loose traction often. The first time the car went sideways at NCCAR was a great learning experience. So I would say that locking the brakes at turn 1 or 8 is a good thing. Gaining experience on bad tires is going to make you a much better driver in the long run. If you have only driven 2 sessions or so I would recommend taking the money for the Star Specs and spend them on more track time.

#958 Nissan 350Z
HPDE

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I've had four track events so far. All at CMP. My current tires are some no-name brand that came on the car, very hard and as you say, they get hot and slick and are not much fun. No spins yet but sideways more than once. They squeal all the way through the carousel, pretty much all the way through 11-13 and in 14. In the rain last week at CMP they were so slippery that I didn't finish the last session.

Anyway, I might split the difference. TireRack has Hankook Ventus evo's on sale cheap. They are not as sticky as Star Specs but I have run a set at CMP on my previous car (G35 coupe) and they are light years better than the tires on my Z (El Dorado Velozza all season 360 tread wear). I'm going to get some 18x9 rims and put either 265/40/18s or 275/40/18s on all four corners. I can get these mounted, balanced and shipped for $1500 total. Stepping up to Star Specs or a 140 rated Hankook would put me over $2000 and I'm trying to pinch pennies. (As if).

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:49 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

IMHO it is well worth the nominal fee to have the carbotechs per bedded.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

It's hard to get a good bedding doing it on the street. I would do the bedding on the track following Carbotech's bedding procedure. Go out at the tail end of your group. By the second session you'll be good to go. You need to get the transfer layer of the old pads off and lay down a new layer of your current pads.

Official Safety Gear Supplier of NASA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next