nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

bossman429 wrote:
Tufast wrote:
Bossman, I'm fixing to order a set of StarSpecs myself to go on my newly purchased Rays wheels (18"x8.5" & 18"x9.5"). I've already got a new set of Hankook RS3s (245/40ZR18 & 285/35ZR18), but have gathered from these forums that these tires might be a little too aggressive for a newb like me in HPDE1. So after reading many threads recommending the Dunlop Star Specs, I've decided to purchase a set until I'm ready to run the RS3s. I checked TireRack & they've got the size I want; 275/35ZR18 on the rear & 245/40ZR18 on the front. Maybe they have yours too...IDK, but worth checking.

Thanks man! I checked with Dunlop, they don't make the Star Specs in 17" any wider than 255, Which is a bit narrow for my wheels/car. I guess that takes those tires out of the runnning :(

Damn that sucks, I guess its because I've got 18"s that they went that wide.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

+1 on the Kuhmo XS's, I love mine!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:07 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Im gonna tag along here and ask about tires too instead of starting a new thread. I am running Toyo R888's for AutoX but now that im addicted to the track, I started HPDE and DE. The instructors are urging me to get a set of non R compound tires to learn with. I dont have a way of getting my tires to the track so I drive on them to and from. Of the two HPDE sessions I have gone to it has rained both times and it looks like its going to rain for my third this monday and tuesday.

What would be a good tire to get? I have a Porsche C2 with 18" stock wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

bossman429 wrote:
Only problem with the star specs is the widest I've seen so far is 255. I'll have to check with dunlop but I'd be looking for a 275 (about 11" overall width)

tirerack.com offers a 265/40 for the 17's. Probably more wider sizes coming out as more and more people move to them. Not sure how you'd feel about stretching a 265 just a little. I run a 245 on a 9" wheel. Barely stretched with no complaints.

Yupitsnuge wrote:
Im gonna tag along here and ask about tires too instead of starting a new thread. I am running Toyo R888's for AutoX but now that im addicted to the track, I started HPDE and DE. The instructors are urging me to get a set of non R compound tires to learn with. I dont have a way of getting my tires to the track so I drive on them to and from. Of the two HPDE sessions I have gone to it has rained both times and it looks like its going to rain for my third this monday and tuesday.

***shameless plug for Star Specs***

Honestly, any tire with a treadwear of around 200 (minus the Bridgestone RE-11 simply b/c they are WAY overpriced). Dunlop Star Specs, RS-3's, 615K's, etc. They will talk to you just enough before they let go. Not sure about the others, but the Star Spec is a great rain tire for DE's. I have a 400hp Subaru on the Star Specs in 245/40/17 and I beat the SNOT out of them at Road Atlanta and Carolina Motorsports Park and they do not get greasy, even at RA in August. Tirewear is also pretty impressive. Tirerack.com offers a 275/35/18.

I've heard about the NT555RII's, but have yet to try them. I'm still on the Star Specs (after 4 events!). A friend of mine said his biggest mistake was moving from the Star Specs to the NT-05. He said the NT-05 gets really greasy really quick, unlike the Star Spec. He drives an E92 M3.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

I was afraid I was going to get air in my intake! -ReaperX

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Yupitsnuge wrote:

I am another BIG fan of the Star Specs. I got lucky and found a set of RE01R's as they were being discontinued. I thought they were excellent on track and when I went with the Star Specs, I was equally as impressed.

Using a street tire through HPDE makes a lot of sense since you are learning your car without the aid of a very grippy tire. Plus, street tires give EXCELLENT feedback to the driver.

#31 NASA-MA TTB
Instructor
IAG Performance | KNS Brakes | Vibrant Performance
2007 Subaru STi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:48 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

I really like my NT555R2 they talk back enough to keep me on track. :D

HPDE classroom instructor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:47 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Hard to beat everything I have heard about the Star Specs, but also look at the Yokohama AD08 - damn fine tire. Love mine. And they have lasted extremely well on dual duty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:21 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I have a special deal on 205/50R15 Toyo R888.
BUY 3 GET 1 FREE.
Shaving and shipping additional
Joe
TreadZone
866-208-6551

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

TreadZone wrote:
I have a special deal on 205/50R15 Toyo R888.
BUY 3 GET 1 FREE.
Shaving and shipping additional
Joe
TreadZone
866-208-6551

Very interested. Possible to get a quote for 4 shipped to 85233?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I had been doing the same thing shopping for tires to start on, Firehawk gt i have found to be the reasonable tire to run with, 40,000 mile tire rain or sunny day . so far one of my instructed had asked what type of tire i running hwne i told him he was like what. they stick pretty decent at road atlanta . I have 375 miles one them so far ,track only tire .

my next tire upgrade will be to ra tire . once i get through hpde classes.Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next