nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:36 am 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am
Posts: 92
i love my ad08. they have great wear, are great in rain, and stick very well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:29 am 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Rock Hill, SC
This is a bit off topic (in this very old thread) but I've got my second DE-1 coming up in a couple of weeks. I just bought a new (to me) 07 350Z (310 hp, 3300 pounds). It has brand new El Dorado Velozza tires (no joke). 245/45 rears. These are W rated all-season tires, treadwear rating of 360 so they are hard.

I do not have the money or time to get a set of track tires right now. Is this going to be a nightmare on a cold track?

_________________
George


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:39 am 
Offline
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 166
Location: Ino, Kochi, Japan
The key here is recognizing that you're going out on a cold track. As long as you do that and make the appropriate corrections they should be just fine. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it bears repeating: bad tires make great teachers. My tires are somewhere around 400 treadwear and I've never had a problem on a cold track. Congrats on the new acquisition and I'll see you in a couple of weeks!

_________________
Elliott
1995 Nissan Skyline GTS25-t (R33)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Clayton(ish), NC
MR_E wrote:
The key here is recognizing that you're going out on a cold track. As long as you do that and make the appropriate corrections they should be just fine. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it bears repeating: bad tires make great teachers. My tires are somewhere around 400 treadwear and I've never had a problem on a cold track. Congrats on the new acquisition and I'll see you in a couple of weeks!


I agree with MR_E 100%.

I will also say that the best thing you can do is to stay on street tires for as long as you can as you progress through the HPDE ranks, don't give into the "R-comps are better" mindset. You will be a better driver and you will learn sooo much more about what your car is doing than if your mistakes are masked by the grippyness of R-comps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 am 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Thanks guys. Great advice.

MR_E wrote:
Congrats on the new acquisition and I'll see you in a couple of weeks!


Well, the first person I spoke to on the grid (was it Robert? The guy on the Segway) before my first time ever on the track made fun of my Japanese luxury car (G35 coupe) so I just had to get rid of it.
:lol:

Edit: I think it was Rob Parker.

_________________
George


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 am 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:09 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Stone Mtn, GA
rigmaster wrote:
MR_E wrote:
The key here is recognizing that you're going out on a cold track. As long as you do that and make the appropriate corrections they should be just fine. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it bears repeating: bad tires make great teachers. My tires are somewhere around 400 treadwear and I've never had a problem on a cold track. Congrats on the new acquisition and I'll see you in a couple of weeks!


I agree with MR_E 100%.

I will also say that the best thing you can do is to stay on street tires for as long as you can as you progress through the HPDE ranks, don't give into the "R-comps are better" mindset. You will be a better driver and you will learn sooo much more about what your car is doing than if your mistakes are masked by the grippyness of R-comps.


Many, many, many years ago I was on old almost 400tw tires in HPDE. Just keep the above in mind. Work up to the tread talking back to you. Don't go much past that except in the "safer" areas of the track.

_________________
NASA-SE Instructor, TT
1992 Corvette 383 - TTA
2012 season 383 going in March


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 am
Posts: 65
n80 wrote:
This is a bit off topic (in this very old thread) but I've got my second DE-1 coming up in a couple of weeks. I just bought a new (to me) 07 350Z (310 hp, 3300 pounds). It has brand new El Dorado Velozza tires (no joke). 245/45 rears. These are W rated all-season tires, treadwear rating of 360 so they are hard.

I do not have the money or time to get a set of track tires right now. Is this going to be a nightmare on a cold track?


When I started NASA last year with my 03 350Z, I was using Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires. They had a treadwear rating of 420. I used them once at NCCAR, once at Roebling and 3 times at Road Atlanta. They were fine for my skill level. As everyone keep saying: track time is the best investment. Last Fall I purchased 18" wheels with the Dunlop Star Specs. I have since used them at Barber and at Roebling. They are a great tire and I plan on staying with them for a long time. BTW, you are going to love the Z.

_________________
Mike Ellison
#958 Nissan 350Z
HPDE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 am 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Thanks Mike. I am already enjoying the Z. As similar as it is to my previous G, they feel very different. This Z is about 200 pounds lighter and has about 10 more HP but it feels significantly more powerful for some reason. Might just be in my head. The G had a very rough ride. The Z rides better. We'll have to see what that means in terms of handling. The steering on the G was lighter and seemed very precise. My wife said it felt fidgety but I really liked it. The steering in the Z has a little heavier feel and less feedback from the road but it may be just as precise. We'll see. The clutch in the Z is way better than the G. Overall I like this Z a lot more.

_________________
George


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:27 pm 
Offline
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm
Posts: 128
Location: Woodruff,SC
Pretty much everyone is right on spot on this this thread. Another great teacher is if you DD the car. I DD my 98 GT for almost 2 years before I put her on CMP with BFG g-forces. After 2 events there I had instructors telling my Im pushing the car well beyond what the tires could handle, that I had them squealing most of the session. So I'm now running BFG R1's. So SEAT TIME in your own car and knowing her from top to bottom helps tremendously!!

_________________
1997 SVT Cobra DE-3
DD: 1998 Ford Mustang GT
Image
nasa-se de2 cobra incar by bens98gt, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group