nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

First I want to say I tried searching this subject, but to be honest the search function on this forum is less than user-friendly :twisted:

I'm currently running in HPDE 2, and hope to bump up to 3 within the first couple events this year.

I ran Azeni's all year and they are pretty worn. I know I'll need new ones very soon.

Question is what should I move up to? Or Should I stay with Azeni's or a comp. street tire?

I have been in situations where the only thing i felt holding me back was the tires, where I felt in complete control but just had to go a little bit slower to keep within the limits of the tires.

I'm thinking of moving up to NITTO555RII or equivalent for my next set. I just don't want to go too much more expensive than a decent street tire (like the Azeni's, which is a great value if you ask me).

Any reccomendations? I'm lookin in the $200/per tire and under range. Size is a 274/40/17

My only concern with an "DOT R" tire is wet traction. I don't have a second set of wheels (yet) and my Azeni's scared me enough in the rain (granted it was also very cold and close to the end of their life). Is it possible to have a decent DOT R that wont be useless if it rains?

I've had the 555RII's before as a street tire, loved them but obviously it's impossible to compare street driving to open track.

Thanks guys!

www.team40.com

Post subject: Re: Tires for HPDE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:18 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

RA1s are great in the rain and will give great improvement over the Azenis, as long as they are full tread. As they get worn down, their rain performance declines, obviously. I started my HPDE program on Azenis, ran them til they were bald, went through two sets of RA1s as I got faster. Now I am in HPDE4 and on Hoosier R6s.

#350 ST3 Nissan 350Z Japtrix Racing/ProsTuning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

obzezzed350 wrote:
RA1s are great in the rain and will give great improvement over the Azenis, as long as they are full tread. As they get worn down, their rain performance declines, obviously. I started my HPDE program on Azenis, ran them til they were bald, went through two sets of RA1s as I got faster. Now I am in HPDE4 and on Hoosier R6s.

Appreciate the info, but at $230 a pop, they are too rich for me, especially in HPDE 2.

www.team40.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:43 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

There is no reason to run r comp tires at your level of hpde. Once you have many, many miles on track you might make the transition to racing tires if you plan on racing in the future. Super grippy tires can create, or at least mask bad habits. comp tires are also a little less forgiving of errors. I would stick with azenis, or rs2 etc, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:35 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread about HPDE tires. I just picked up Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for my summer/track tires to replace my old Potenza RE070s. I'm sure they'll be fine for HPDE use, but I'm wondering has anyone run on all-season tires at HPDE? My first event of the season is coming up this weekend, and the ambient temperature down at VIR will be high 40s at best. I was thinking about running the all-seasons (Kumho ASX) I ride on daily driving most the year in 1 or 2 sessions to lessen the traction and perhaps work on my car control. Is this a bad idea? On a side note, I will be running track-only brake pads (Pagid Yellows).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:57 pm 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

I've had decent success with ASXs when I was too lazy to slap on r-comps for instructor sessions, but, we're talking a 225s on a ~115whp ~2800lb car. Grain-of-salt as needed

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

kbrew8991 wrote:
I've had decent success with ASXs when I was too lazy to slap on r-comps for instructor sessions, but, we're talking a 225s on a ~115whp ~2800lb car. Grain-of-salt as needed

Thanks. I guess 235s on a ~300whp, ~3200lb car would be a little different. But I do have awd to help me if things got a little too hairy. I just wanted to know I'm not too crazy for wanting to try it out. I guess I'll speak with my instructor and consider the track conditions before I decide to try a session or 2 on ASXs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

bossman429 wrote:
Any reccomendations? I'm lookin in the $200/per tire and under range. Size is a 274/40/17

You might try the Kumho XS. At $158/tire they’re pretty cheap. They test head-and-shoulders above the old RT-615. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TPCRacing-Eddie wrote:
I just picked up Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for my summer/track tires to replace my old Potenza RE070s.

So why not run the Star Specs at this DE? The one complaint about UHP street tires is that they overheat towards the end of the session. I think you’ll be fine running these, and they may not get greasy near the end.

GL Region #707 PTE/TTE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Quote:
You might try the Kumho XS. At $158/tire they’re pretty cheap. They test head-and-shoulders above the old RT-615. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... mpare1=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those were my other choice for street tires. I will give them a good look

Discount tire direct has a $80 rebate on 615's plus another $50 for using their credit card. A set of Azeni's $458 is pretty hard to pass up. But I'll do some good research

www.team40.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:35 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I just bought some Nitto NT-05 tires and so far really like them. They are a lot grippier than the BFG G-Force Sport tires I had before, handle the heat a lot better, and the sidewall gives a much better feel. They are also pretty darn affordable. The thing I like most about them is the consistency lap after lap. Like any tire, they can get greasy when slid around a bit too much but they stay fast throughout a session.

3rd Shift Motorsports PTE/SM Miata #67
NASA-SE Instructor
http://www.andrewdillerracing.com