nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thank you for the replies. All good points to ponder. My car is my daily driver in which I will be taking it to just a few track events, I don't think I will be swapping seats for hpde 1 events. I guess the CG lock thing would be a nice safety measure. I thought a 4pt harness would be too, if it wasn't safe why would it get a valid label from the different sanctioning bodies.
I will also not go to a "race" seat due to the fact that then I will have a 5 or 6pt harness, one that will at the very least require a harness bar. Again the daily driver thing gets in the way, I do use my back seats for my kids. My attempt at a 4pt harness was to get a better seating position and to not be thrown around.
I guess that I will have to use common sense and try to not drive past my abilities. If the rule book rather have me using my stock gear then so be it. There are always things like these everywhere, like it or not usually to the interpretation of the big cheeses.
I get it, race stuff happens, track day happens, but the only way to be truly prepared every time all the time in all categories would be to have a dedicated "for track use only" vehicle. I hope not as that would take away from the principle of any track day organization which is to safely, in a controlled environment, to enjoy your car, at your level of expertise/comfort.
I will bite the bullet, I will get the harness, and let whomever techs me to allow/deny their usage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

You have a C6, right? If so, you do not need a CG-Lock. Pull your seat belt ALL the way out and slowly let it back in. Corvettes have a factory locking mechanism that will ratchet after pulling the belt all the way out.

I have Vettes and I have CG-Locks (for use in other cars and when I instruct). Just some friendly advise... use the OEM belts until you put in a proper seat, roll bar, and 6 point harnesses.

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:00 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

brkntrxn wrote:
You have a C6, right? If so, you do not need a CG-Lock. Pull your seat belt ALL the way out and slowly let it back in. Corvettes have a factory locking mechanism that will ratchet after pulling the belt all the way out.

I have Vettes and I have CG-Locks (for use in other cars and when I instruct). Just some friendly advise... use the OEM belts until you put in a proper seat, roll bar, and 6 point harnesses.

I'm referring to an E92 M3. I don't have the same issues on the vette as the seats do hold me in quite well. My vette is a C7 GS with the comp seats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:52 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Maybe try the CG-Lock first, before spending big bucks for a harness? I think you'll be surprised at how snug it'll hold you in the seat using the OEM seatbelts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:54 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Or maybe try some HPDE1 first before worrying about any of this. People do it in stock Kias, rental cars, whatever. The car makes very little difference, just come drive and learn and have fun :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:33 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

hpde 1 is all I can do for now. That's the plan, to go and enjoy the car and the venue. Not trying to set any land speed record, just trying to be as firm on the seat as possible. My first event will be in March at Vir.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:28 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Reviving old thread because I had to look it up for my car (Fiesta ST) to drive in HPDE. They ARE in fact FMVSS 209 certified.
Also I don't see how these particular harnesses are possibly less safe than the factory 3 point seat belt in any given crash scenario. If someone had partially ejected from this 4 point then they would have also been ejected from the 3 point. There may have been an install error or manufacturing defect.

https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Fiesta.pdf
on pages 3 and 4